March 6, 2013 minutes
MINUTES - MONTHLY MEETING, NORTH OKANAGAN LABOUR COUNCIL AT KELOWNA
AFFILIATES PRESENT: Ron Bobowski, CUPW, Cheryl Stone, UFCW 1518, Greg McGowan, CUPE 873, Andrew Pritchard, Unite Here, Local 40, Ronn Dunn, CUPE 3523, Susan Bauhart, COTA, Nikki Inouye, HEU, Vernon, Karen Abramsen, UFCW 1518, Louise Gibson, COPE 378, Laureen Freayh, HEU, Pat Bulmer, CEP 2000, Ken Robinson, HEU, Les Milton, ATU, Carole Gordon, COTA, Ian Gordon, CUPE 3523, Lennie Dolinski, CEP 468, Wiho Papenbrock, BCGEU, Wynn Hartfelder, BCGEU 307, Shane Curveon, ATU
REGRETS: Sandy Thon, BCGEU, Helen Rapole, BCGEU, Nancy Ingersol, VTA, Mark Olsen, CUPE 5523
GUESTS: Laureen Freayh, HEU Chair, Jason Picklyk, IAFF 953, Mike Porteous, UFCW 1518
BCFORUM Delegate: Doug Gibson
CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order by Andrew Pritchard, President, at 7:00 pm
ADOPTION OF AGENDA: M/S/C
GUEST SPEAKERS: Mark Conlin, BCGEU, "Sensible BC" initiative. If you wish to read more on Mark's topic please go to: www.sensiblebc.ca
ADOPTION OF PREVIOUS MINUTES: M/S/C
CREDENTIALS REPORT: 21 Present with 16 Delegates, 4 Guests, 1 BCFORUM Delegate
OBLIGATIONS OF NEW DELEGATES: Carmen Belanger, HEU
FINANCIAL REPORT: given by Ron Bobowski, Secretary Treasurer, M/S/C to adopt financial report as circulated.
EXECUTIVE BOARD REPORT/ACTION CORRESPONDENCE
1. Canadian Apprenticeship Forum membership request --rec/file
2. BCFORUM -- letter regarding Liz Woods resignation as BCFORUM delegate to NOLC -- read to delegates
3. Amnesty International -- 2013 Annual renewal request -- the exec recommends that we donate $150.00 M/S/C
4. Our Times Labour Magazine donation request -- the executive recommends that we donate $50.00 M/S/C
REPORTS OF LOCAL UNIONS -- STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS -- CLC REPORT:
a) LOCAL UNIONS REPORTS: LOCAL UNIONS REPORTS: Wynn Hartfelder, BCGEU 307, Ronn Dunn CUPE 3523, Pat Bulmer CEP 2000, Cheryl Stone, UFCW
1518, Ken Robinson, HEU, Susan Bauhart, COTA, Wiho Papenbrock, BCGEU, Andrew Pritchard, UNITEHERE local 40
b) STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS:
1. Camp Jubilee & YMCA Silver Lake -- Ronn Dunn, CUPE 3523, Cheryl Stone UFCW 1518
2. United Way -- Andrew Pritchard, Unite Here/Local 40 -- We have finally finished our 2012 Change Starts Here Campaign and it is now time to celebrate. We have lots of things in the works for this spring so please ensure that you register for SPOTLIGHT, the 2012 Community Spirit Awards taking place at the Rotary Centre for the Arts on April 17, 2013. Tickets for this event are complimentary but seating is limited so please book now online at https://2012unitedwayspiritawards.eventbrite.ca/
3. Day of Mourning takes place on Friday, April 26, 2013 at Ben Lee Park in Rutland. A motion was made to place an ad in the Kelowna Daily Courier for the Day of Mourning up to $300.00 M/S/C. A park permit is required for the use of Ben Lee Park, application is in the works. Details of the ceremony and posters will be available very soon and be distributed via mail/email and on our NOLC website. Please encourage your brothers and sisters to join us on this day.
CLC Report - Ron Stipp, CLC Representative
1. NOLC Banner & Buttons -- Andrew Pritchard, Unite Here/Local 40 Andrew Pritchard will donate a used banner from the Capri Hotel; the NOLC will pay to change the art work The Executive recommends that we get a quote on a price to change the art work and support a cost of up to $300.00 M/S/C
Lapel pins/buttons -- table to the April 10, 2013 NOLC monthly meeting
2. NOLC leaflets -- Cheryl Stone, UFCW 1518 -- A motion was made to order more NOLC leaflets as our supply is very low.
This has been tabled to April 10, 2013 NOLC meeting.
FINAL CREDENTIALS REPORT: 24 Present with 20 Delegates, 3 Guests, 1 BCFORUM delegate
GOOD & WELFARE
ADJOURNMENT: The meeting was adjourned at 9:07 pm by Andrew Pritchard, President
Minutes respectfully submitted by Cheryl Stone, Recording Secretary, UFCW 1518
Wednesday, April 10, 2013
Village Green Hotel, Vernon, B.C.