December 8, 2010 minutes
MINUTES - MONTHLY MEETING, NORTH OKANAGAN LABOUR COUNCIL AT KELOWNA
AFFILIATES PRESENT: Glenn Nowag, UFCW 1518, Ron Bobowski, CUPW 760, Cheryl Stone, UFCW 1518, Carole Gordon, COTA/BCTF, Lynda Zorn, BCFORUM, Karen Abramsen, UFCW 1518, Dave Porteous, UFCW 1518, Ronn Dunn, CUPE 3523,
Emlie Dorie, CUPE 873, Brad Fraser, CUPE 873, Brad Albrecht, HEU Vernon, Nikki Inouye, HEU Vernon, Nancy Ingersol, VTA/BCTF, Barbara Van Stone, CEP, Maria Tokarchuk, HSA
REGRETS: Wendy Mah, BCGEU, Pat Bulmer, CEP 2000, Greg McGowan, CUPE 873, Orion Irvine, CLC
GUESTS: Doug Gibson, BCFORUM, Liz Woods, BCFORUM, Dave Archibald, UFCW 1518
CALL TO ORDER: The meeting was called to order by Glenn Nowag, President, at 7:00 pm
ADOPTION OF AGENDA: M/S/C
GUEST SPEAKERS: Tisha Kalmanovitch, NDP Federal Candidate, Kelowna Lake Country
ADOPTION OF PREVIOUS MINUTES: M/S/C
CREDENTIALS REPORT: 18 Present with 14 Delegates and 4 Guests
OBLIGATIONS OF NEW DELEGATES: none
FINANCIAL REPORT: given by Ron Bobowski, Secretary Treasurer, M/S/C to adopt financial report as circulated.
EXECUTIVE BOARD REPORT/ACTION CORRESPONDENCE
There was no action correspondence.
REPORTS OF LOCAL UNIONS/COMMITTEE REPORTS/CLC REPORT: Karen Abramsen, UFCW 1518 &
EI Board of Referees
Changes to Employment Insurance Maximum Insurable Earnings and Benefit Rate
for 2011. We are writing to inform you of changes to the 2011 maximum insurable earnings and benefit
rate set for Employment Insurance, which were announced on November 12, 2010, by the Canada
Employment Insurance Financing Board (CEIFB). Effective January 1, 2011, the annual maximum
insurable earnings will increase to $44,200 from the existing $43,200. As a result, the maximum
weekly EI benefit rate will increase to $468 from the current amount of $457. As expected, the EI
premium rate for workers will increase to $1.78 for every $100 of salary up to $44,200. The
corresponding employer rate will also increase to $2.49. For Quebec, the EI premium rate will be
set at $1.41 for workers and $1.97 for employers. This lower premium rate is due to Quebec's
delivery of its own parental benefits since January 2006.
1. NOLC Annual Work Plan -- reported by Lynda Zorn, BCFORUM
Committee members: Dave Porteous, Cheryl Stone, Lynda Zorn, Ron Bobowski and Karen Abramsen
MEMBERSHIP & AFFILIATION/ ACTION PLANNING was discussed.
-- Involving more people at our meetings
-- Perhaps a quarterly News Letter by Feb 1st
-- Re-affiliation notice annually
-- NOLC flyers will help with attendance
MUNICIPAL ELECTION: Committee to be formed at January 2011 meeting
-- Approach affiliates to ask who would be running....mail letters to all affiliates
-- Hand out endorsement questionnaire application
-- Make the decision at the March meeting to give ample time to advertise the Sept meeting change and
allow time to advertise the endorsement deadline -- Sept. 14, 2011 meeting
-- CLC to offer a Visioning Session -- Hold this event Saturday, April 30th
-- Candidate Training to be set up by CLC (before summer)
-- MAKE THE SEPTEMBER MEETING A WEEK LATER FOR ENDORSEMENT PURPOSES
-- Election Nov 19th. CLC printing poll cards to be distributed by Oct 18th to affiliates.
-- Discuss perhaps organizing an all-candidates forum.........book location etc.
2. Protein for People -- Cheryl Stone, Recording Secretary, made a presentation at the BCFED Convention to John Radosovic, President of Protein for People, of a cheque for $1,000.00 for canned salmon which will be distributed to our 4 local Food Banks, Kelowna, West Kelowna, Vernon and Lake Country. The union label canned salmon will be shipped mid January 2011. A letter, regarding this contribution, will be presented to each Food Bank, prior to the delivery as well as a press release for recognition of the North Okanagan Labour Council in our respective communities.
3. CLC Winter School final nominations:
-- NOLC Labour Council Officer Development -- Ron Bobowski, Secretary Treasure, and Cheryl Stone, Recording Secretary were nominated at the November meeting for this course. Voting will take place at the January 5th, 2010 meeting.
-- CLC Scholarship (one per LC) - nominations open for one of the three listed courses only. Nikki Inouye, HEU, Vernon and Roxanne Round, BCGEU were nominated, voting took place and Nikki Inouye was elected to attend the
Media Training & Presentations Skills (Week 4: Feb. 6-11, 2011)
-- NOLC Education Scholarship -- Carole Gordon, COTA/BCTF was nominated and won by acclimation to attend.
-- Debra Mills Scholarship (for delegates of affiliates with a disability) there were no nominations from our affiliates for this scholarship.
4. Joy Langan Social Justice Award -- The winner of this award is Angela Schira, outgoing Secretary-Treasurer of the BCFED. Thank you Bernie Biggatini, BCGEU, for allowing your name to stand for this award.
5. Relocation of meeting place: A proposal and decision regarding a permanent location will be made at the January 5, 2011.
1. New NOLC Executive 2011 Committee - Liz Woods, BCFORUM and Maria Tokarchuk, HSA, will be on the NOLC election committee.
FINAL CREDENTIALS REPORT: 18 Present with 14 Delegates 4 Guests. Report given by Emily Dorie, Sergeant at Arms
ADJOURNMENT: The meeting was adjourned at 8:45 pm by Glenn Nowag, President
Minutes respectfully submitted by Cheryl Stone, Recording Secretary, UFCW 1518
Wednesday, January 5, 2011- 7:00 pm
Temporary Meeting Location
UFCW 1518 Office
185 Asher Road
Kelowna (enter at the side door)
Happy New Year