The NDP-Green Confidence and Supply Agreement that should see the NDP under John Horgan form the new B.C. government later this month includes a number of points that refer to workers, working conditions and creating jobs
- Improve fairness for workers, ensure balance in workplaces, and improve measures to protect the safety of workers at work so that everyone goes home safely and that workers and families are protected in cases of death or injury.
- Immediately establish an at-arm’s-length Fair Wages Commission that will be tasked with establishing a pathway to a minimum wage of at least $15 per hour and overseeing regular rate reviews. The commission will bring forward recommendations regarding strategies to address the discrepancy between minimum wages and livable wages. The commission will make its first report on a new minimum wage within 90 days of its first meeting.
- Invest over four years to support co-op, apprenticeship and work experience programs for high-school and undergraduate students.
- Establish an Emerging Economy Task Force (EETF) to address the changing nature of business over the next 10 to 25 years. The EETF will be charged with developing “made- in-BC” solutions that keep our government, our policies and our thinking on the cutting edge. The task force will report to the government within one year of the 1st sitting of the next session of the BC Legislative Assembly with a BC New Democrat Government.
- The mandate and funding of the EETF will be jointly established by representatives of both the BC Green Caucus and the BC New Democrat Government.
- Establish an Innovation Commission to support innovation and business development in the technology sector, and appoint an Innovation Commissioner with a mandate to be an advocate and ambassador on behalf of the BC technology sector in Ottawa and abroad.
- Reinvigorate our forest sector to improve both environmental standards and jobs for local communities.